Sir Edward DE NEVILLE, Lord Bergavenny 
- Born: 1412, Raby, Durham, England
- Marriage: Catherine HOWARD  on 15 Oct 1448 in , , England
- Died: 18 Oct 1476, , , England at age 64
Sources, Comments and Notes:
Source <Plantagenet ancestry: a study in colonial and medieval families> Par Douglas Richardson,Kimball G. Everingham:
"... Edward married (2nd) by dispensation dated 15 Oct. 1448 (she and his 1* wife being related in the 3"' degree of kindred) KATHERINE HOWARD, daughter of Robert Howard, Knt., of Stoke Nayland, Suffolk (descendant of King John), by Margaret, daughter of Thomas Mowbray, Knt., K.G., 1st Duke of Norfolk, Earl Marshal, Earl of Nottingham (descendant of King Edward I) They had cohabited in the lifetime of his 1st wife, and were excommunicated, later absolved. They had two sons, Ralph and Edward, and three daughters, Margaret (wife of John Brooke, Knt., 7th Lord Cobham), Katherine (wife of Robert Tanfield), and Anne (wife of John Strange, 8th Lord Strange of Knockin) [see CORNWALL lO.ii for issue of this marriage]. Following the death of Anne, daughter of Henry Beauchamp, Duke of Warwick, in 1449, Edward Neville had license to enter and possess the Castle, lordship and manor of Abergavenny. He was summoned to Parliament from 5 Sept. 1450 to 19 August 1472, by writs directed Edwardo Nevilidomino de Beqeivnny militi. SIR EDWARD NEVILLE, Lord Bergavenny, died 18 Oct. 1476. His widow, Katherine, was living 29 June 1478...."
"Edward Nevill, de facto 3rd (de jure 1st) Baron Bergavenny (bef. 1414 '96 18 October 1476) was an English pee.
He was the son of Ralph de Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland and Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland, daughter of John of Gaunt and Katherine de Roet (better known as Katherine Swynford. Nevill was knighted sometime after 1426.
In 1436 he married Lady Elizabeth de Beauchamp (d. 18 June 1448), daughter of Richard de Beauchamp, 1st Earl of Worcester and the former Lady Isabel le Despenser, who later succeeded as de jure 3rd Baroness Bergavenny, and they had the following children:
Richard Nevill (bef. 1439 '96 bef. 1476)
Sir George Nevill (c.1440'961492), later 4th and 2nd Baron Bergavenny
Alice Nevill, married Sir Thomas Grey
Catherine Nevill (b.c.1444), married John Iwardby
Bergavenny, as he was now styled, was a justice of the peace for Durham in 1438.
Shortly after his first wife's death, in the summer or fall of 1448, he married Katherine Howard, daughter of Robert Howard and sister of the 1st Duke of Norfolk, and they had the following children:
Catherine Nevill (b. c. 1452/bef. 1473), married Robert Tanfield (b. 1461), son of Robert Tanfield and Elizabeth Brooke, daughter of Edward Brooke, 6th Baron Cobham and Elizabeth Touchet, born c. 1433, and had issue
Margaret Nevill (b.bef. 1476-1506), married John Brooke, 7th Baron Cobham
Anne Nevill (b.bef 1476-1480/81)
He was a captain in the embattled Duchy of Normandy in 1449. His eldest son Richard was one of the hostages given to the French when the English surrendered the city of Rouen in that year.
After the death of his first wife, he was summoned to Parliament in 1450 as "Edwardo Nevyll de Bergavenny", by which he is held to have become Baron Bergavenny. At the time, however, this was considered to be a summons by right of his wife, and so he was considered the 3rd, rather than the 1st, Baron.
In 1454, he was appointed to the Privy Council assembled by the Duke of York as Lord Protector, along with his more prominent Nevill kinsmen. He was a commissioner of array in Kent in 1461, and was a captain in Edward IV's army in the North the following year. He was again a commissioner of array in 1470, remaining loyal to Edward IV, unlike his nephew, the Earl of Warwick"
Source <The making of the Neville family in England, 1166-1400> Par Charles Robert Young:
"THE NEVILLE FAMILY (extract):
11. Ralph de Neville = (1) Margaret Stafford & = 2) Joan Beaufort (dau. of John of Gaunt)
12. Edward de Neville, Lord Abergavenny d. 1476 ..."
"... Pedigree of Gilbert. [For further information, see the overview chart of lineal ancestors of King Edward III of England and Philippa of Hainault , or the off-site hyperlinked genealogy of English and other royalty, with some annotations (proper names at or near the top of the following chart are linked to the second of these sources).]
1. Edward III, King of England born 13 Nov. 1312, Windsor, died 21 June 1377, London = Philippa of Hainault born about 1312, Hainault, Belgium, married 24 January 1327, died 14/15 August 1369, Windsor
2. John of Gaunt, born March 1340, mar. 20 Feb. 1397, died 3 Feb. 1398 = Catharine Roet, 3rd wife, born 1350, died 10 May 1403. (Her sister Philippa Roet married |Geoffrey Chaucer, the poet.) They were great-great-grandparents of Henry VII (Tudor)
3. Joan de Beaufort, born ca. 1375 Beaufort, Anjou, died 13 Nov. 1440, Howden, Yorks = Ralph Neville, born 1364 Raby Castle, Durham, died 21 Oct. 1425
4. Edward Neville, born ca. 1412 = Catharine Howard (2nd wife)
5. Catharine Neville, born ca. 1450 = Robert Tanfield
6. William Tanfield, born ca. 1480 = Isabel Stavely
7. Catharine Tanfield = John Gilbert
8. William Gilbert, Vicar of Barton Turf = Ellen Furford
9. Ellen Gilbert, died 10 Jan. 1582 = Nicholas Wright, born ca. 1538, married 18 February 1559, died 1 October 1582."
Edward married Catherine HOWARD  [MRIN: 586], daughter of Sir Robert HOWARD, Knt.,  and Margaret MOWBRAY , on 15 Oct 1448 in , , England. (Catherine HOWARD  was born about 1421 in , Norfolk, England and died after 29 Jun 1478 in , , England.)